Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Snowflakes and robins - it's got to be Christmas!


I finally managed to get my hands on the much adored Winter Snowflake die and I have been looking at ways to use it. For this card I decided to use it in the background, but I have more cards coming up where it is a feature, and how gorgeous it is too! 



I made a tag card shape (approximately DL size) out of two pieces of Kraft card, and attached the two pieces only at the top with strong DS tape.

I used a strip of paper from the Tonic Christmas Wishes pad and stuck it just right of the middle of the card.

I die-cut the snowflake just the once but split it in half. The bit on the left, I just stuck down, but on the right I stuck it first onto a half circle of kraft, otherwise it might get lost over the patterned paper. I also did two small snowflakes from the Mini Wreath Decorations set. I made a branch for the robin from a one of the dies from Sweet Melia.

I love the cute robin but I wanted to see if I could make him without paper piecing. I love paper piecing but if you have a lot of robins to make you have to look at finding an easier way, so I tried this: 

I cut a couple of robins out of white card and used one as a stencil for colouring through onto a piece of plain white card with alcohol markers. It looks odd to start with but you can tweak it to your satisfaction. Then, on a clean diecut (I used my template on other robins)  I completed an outline neatly in the right colours (and keeping the white white!), and stuck it over the top , then cut him out whole.

A couple of pearls, coloured with brown and a tiny dot of black, brought his eyes to life, and some white ones turned the leaves into mistletoe.




The sentiment came from the Winter Wonderland pad, with a bit of red ribbon to finish.
Thanks for stopping by! 
Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment